Temporary redirection of road traffic
From Monday, October 5, on the access to the passenger terminal and other facilities at Ljubljana Airport is temporarily changed. Traffic regulation is part of the construction of the new passenger terminal, which is in full swing.
Traffic is now regulated as shown at the image below (click to enlarge).
- From the KA1 roundabout, road traffic is guided along the road in the E axis to the KE1 roundabout (in front of the existing parking garage) and on to the KB1 roundabout (in front of the Slovenia Air Traffic Control building). From there road follows to the existing passenger terminal and to the airport service area.
- The current access road from the KE1 roundabout along parking garage to the passenger terminal is being abolished.
- Access to the open passenger car park (P2) remains the same.
- Access to the logistics facilities of TNT, FedEx and to the construction site of the new passenger terminal is possible from the roundabout KA1.
- Truck traffic (CARGO) is redirected on the state road G2 - 104/1136, from the current roundabout K1 to roundabout K2 via roundabout KB1 to the newly arranged access to CARGO facilities.
- The change of traffic regime in front of passenger terminal can be seen on the picture.
- The changes are supported by appropriate traffic signalisation.
Current road traffic regulation will remain in use until the opening of new passenger terminal. Access routes and related changes are part of the new terminal construction project, which is proceeding according to plan. Completion of construction works is scheduled for the beginning of Summer of 2021. At that time internal airport road system will be finalized as well.
From the outside, the building is already close to its final appearance. At the moment glass and panel facade is being installed, as well as electrical and mechanical installations and the drainage system. Inner concrete pavement works have started and will be implemented by phases. Also, preparatory works for later commercial surfaces have already begun, as well as works for an additional exit from the departure area onto the apron. Baggage sorting equipment, including baggage reclaim system, is being installed. Furnishing and the installation of the remaining technological equipment (computer and security equipment) are planned for the first half of year 2021. During that period, the area in front of the terminal will be arranged for parking of buses, shuttles, taxis and for drop-off. Terminal building is expected to be ready for testing phases of equipment, processes and passenger flows already next Spring.
The project, which was architecturally designed by Plan B studio, will be a modern, airy space with many open glass surfaces disclosing gorgeous views of the airport runway and the Julian Alps on the one hand and the Kamnik-Savinja Alps on the other. A minimalist building will combine visible concrete surfaces, glass, metal and wood panelling.
New terminal is a strategic investment with a total estimated value of more than EUR 20 million, that will enable long-term development and future of Ljubljana Airport. It will increase capacity, enhance the travel experience and offer more growth opportunities for passenger traffic in the future. 10,000 m² of new floor space will be added, including a new departure hall, 14 check-in desks (making 22 in total), five lines for security inspections and two baggage carousels in the first phase of reconstruction, with a new baggage sorting area, a large duty-free shop, a new business salon, and renovated restaurants and promotion areas to follow. Capacity will be increased from 500 to 1,250 passengers per hour. A corridor will connect the expanded new part with the existing areas.
Zg. Brnik, 8. 10. 2020