Aegean Airlines from Ljubljana Airport to Athens, 30 % passenger growth in May
Zg. Brnik, 6. 6. 2023 - The flight network from Ljubljana Airport is richer for a new destination. On Tuesday, June 6, Aegean Airlines established regular flights to Athens. The airline will be flying to Greece twice weekly. In May, more than 110,000 passengers traveled through Ljubljana Airport, 30 % more than in May 2022. We are expecting the growth trend to continue during the summer months. 18 regular airlines will be offering flights to 22 destinations. In the peak season there will be one fifth more seats offered compared to the same period last year, the number of flights will be higher by a quarter.
Today, we welcomed the first regular flight of Aegean Airlines between Ljubljana Airport and Athens Airport. It will be possible to fly to Greece twice weekly, every Tuesday and Friday, with an Airbus A320neo with 180 seats. The departure from Ljubljana Airport is scheduled for 19:00, arrival to Athens for 21:45. One-way flight tickets are available already from 96 euro. Aegean Airlines will also be offering convenient connecting flight options through Athens Airport to the Middle East and Asia.
»We are delighted that Aegean Airlines recognized the potential of the Slovene market. Ljubljana Airport is now connected to Greece also with scheduled flights. The established route is interesting for passengers wanting to visit Athens, those who wish to reach Greek islands or continue their journey through this hub to the Middle East and Asia, « said the Managing Director of Fraport Slovenija Dr Babett Stapel with the introduction of the new route to Athens.
In May, 110,926 passengers travelled through Ljubljana Airport, 30 % more than in May 2022. In the period from January to May this year, 407,420 passengers were handled, which means a growth of 45 %. In the peak summer season there will be one fifth more seats available on flights from Ljubljana Airport compared to the same period last year and carriers will operate for a quarter more flights.
»The number of seats on regular connections is significantly increased in the peak of the summer season. The offer is strengthened due to more frequent flights and added connections. With expected strong demand we will be recording significant growth of passengers on regular connections in the summer months, « added Dr Stapel.
The offer of flights from Ljubljana Airport in the summer season has already been enriched by seven destinations: Aegean Airlines to Athens, British Airways to London (Heathrow), Transavia to Amsterdam, Transavia France to Paris Orly, Finnair to Helsinki, GP Airlines to Pristina and Israir Airlines/El Al/Sundor to Tel Aviv. Air Montenegro will bring back the seasonal connection to Tivat on June 16, Wizz Air will introduce flights to Skopje on September 27. With more frequent flights to important hubs the possibilities to fly all over the world are increasing. Lufthansa has strengthened its service to Frankfurt to three daily flights, including an early morning one. In the summer schedule frequencies to other hubs have been increased as well, namely to Istanbul, Paris, Warsaw and Brussels.
A more detailed flight schedule is available at
Altogether 18 regular airlines are offering 22 connections in the summer schedule, with the below number of frequencies:
- Air Serbia twice daily to Belgrade and twice weekly to Niš,
- Aegean Airlines twice weekly to Athens,
- Brussels Airlines six times weekly to Brussels,
- flydubai four times weekly to Dubai,
- Finnair four times weekly to Helsinki,
- Lufthansa up to three times daily to Frankfurt and daily to Munich,
- Turkish Airlines up to twice daily to Istanbul,
- easyJet up to six times weekly to London, Gatwick,
- British Airways six times weekly to London Heathrow,
- Wizz Air three times weekly to London, Luton and two times weekly to Skopje.,
- Transavia up to four times weekly to Amsterdam,
- Transavia France twice weekly to Paris, Orly,
- Air France eleven times weekly to Paris,Israir/El Al/Sundor up to five times weekly to Tel Aviv,
- Air Montenegro three times weekly to Podgorica and four times weekly to Tivat (exchanging connections),
- LOT Polish Airlines nine times weekly to Warsaw,
- SWISS Airlines nine times weekly to Zurich and
- GP Aviation twice weekly to Pristina.
Photos: Peter Irman